Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A Day in the Life of a Doggy on Vacay

As I planned my Labor Day weekend trip to Chicago, to say that I was feeling extremely uneasy about leaving the dogs is an understatement.  I typically use a pet sitter to come to the house while I'm away, but given their outrageous surcharges for holiday weekends and Oscar's need to still be crated, I just couldn't do it.  However, the last and only time I boarded Nugget (at a Charlotte kennel which I will not incriminate here), he came home extremely sick.  It took him a full seven days to recover and every second of it broke my heart.

Weeks prior to my trip, I came across an ad for Pet Paradise Resort in a popular Charlotte magazine.  Upon viewing their website and falling in love with their bone-shaped swimming pool, I decided to stop by for a visit.  The staff was incredibly welcoming, professional and knowledgeable.  The facility  was clean, the grounds well-kept and the canine guests appeared very content!  I booked their reservation immediately.

As my departure date neared, I was still feeling a little nervous.  Oscar was still fairly new to the family and I was fearful he might regress in his potty-training.  I know I rang the resort's phone off the hook with my endless line of questioning, but my calls were always welcome and my mind always put at ease.  On the morning of drop-off, I teared up as I walked back out to the parking lot.  Nugget and Oscar, however, paraded willingly through the reception area with a staff member, only looking back for a split second, as if to say, "See ya Monday, Mom!"

I absolutely took advantage of their webcam service, at the encouragement of B.  We had our own login by which we could jump online and see our furry kids at anytime, day or night.  It was $5/day very well spent!  I called numerous times to check on them, each time my call welcomed with a smiling voice on the other end.  I didn't have to ask how Nugget's rash was healing, they immediately offered the information and assured me they were both doing great!  As if I wasn't already extremely impressed with the exemplary quality of service, upon checking my email on Saturday afternoon, I was greeted with a darling video of Nugget, Oscar and all their new friends playing, swimming and very much enjoying their vacation!  Video seen here: Puppy Playtime!

I was ecstatic to pick the boys up on Monday!  They were at least equally as ecstatic to see me.  As I was paying their bill and getting my receipt, Dina, the manager, brought my handsome boys out to the reception area to greet me.  As she returned to the other side of the desk, Oscar threw is big clumsy paws up on the counter to say "bye" and Dina leaned over to give him a hug and kiss.  My heart melted!  What an amazing staff they have, full of people who genuinely love animals!  Oscar and Nugget will definitely return there anytime in the future I find myself traveling and unable to take them along.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Us Some Puppy Love!