Tuesday, April 12, 2011

(Not exactly) WORDLESS WEDNESDAY

After researching endlessly for about 20 minutes I concluded that what Nugget needs to ease his storm anxiety is some melatonin.  We've tried the calming aids from the pet stores to no avail and it seems like his anxiety has gotten worse over the past several months.  I really hate to see him so upset, but the thought of him being upset and home alone while I'm at work absolutely breaks my heart.  It also only seems to storm in the middle of the week... and usually right at 4:59pm when I'm walking out the door.  Go figure. 
Storms were forecasted for this evening, so I hurried over to the natural food market during lunch to grab a bottle of melatonin in the correct dosage.  I take 10mg and it really doesn't work, but dogs should only get 3mg.
I gave Nugget some melatonin as soon as I got home so that it would have time to kick in before the storms rolled through.  Good thing I started early because he spit it out no less than 5 times before I had to shove it halfway down his esophagus.  And just for $hits and giggles, I gave Oscar some too because I was incredibly exhausted and the truth of the matter is that I would give my right arm to enjoy just ONE night of him not bouncing off the walls like the Tasmanian devil.
It never did storm tonight, but I think it's safe to say we enjoyed a rather tranquil evening after declaring a temporary ceasefire in today's battle of the War of Bones, that is.  I'll explain my findings in pictures:

This is Nugget's normal lounge routine, so hard to say for sure if he was feeling "calm" or just lazy



But Oscar's obvious disinterest in actually removing the pillows before he crashed on the couch give me some hope that the melatonin worked.


Dogs dozed,  Mom relaxed!

What I've concluded as a result of my highly scientific experiment is that I really don't need to take the melatonin at all.  I can give it to the dogs and if they can relax like this every night, I might actually be able to sleep and possibly stop drinking heavily...  I just saved myself an additional 6 months of therapy!
Disclaimer: Always contact your vet before giving your dog any kind of medication.  I did not because I'm an awful, no good, very bad, desperate dog mom!  DO AS I SAY, NOT AS I DO  (But for serious, I plan on calling my vet tomorrow.  SWEARS!)

10 comments:

  1. As always, thanks for the laughs! Really appreciate you linking up at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The power of drugs! LOL!
    I have been lucky enough to never have a dog have anxiety over thunderstorms, but I feel for the many people who do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oscar is absolutely adorable in these pics!!! All cuddled up with a PINK pillow! Let me know if the Melatonin works, maybe Teddy should try it!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yowsa...you are a bedraggled Mommy...the poor poochies and you all harried and frazzled...I tip my stein, not glass, of vino to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woof! Woof! I've gone through storm anxiety for years ... still getting over it n its getting better. Happy "Restful" Wordless Wednesday! Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar
    http://www.sugarthegoldenretriever.com/2011/04/wordless-wednesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you considered the Thundershirt? (Have I already asked you that?) I have been sort of thinking about it for Ellie's separation anxiety...

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL, crack me up. I've considered giving melatonin to Koly to ease his fear of baths. Frankly, I see this post as a ringing endorsement for the joys of melatonin. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so impressed by Oscar's positioning of the pillow - it looks like he's protecting his comfort zone in case the storms come and Nugget starts getting worked up!

    I've also heard good things about the Thunder shirt. I saw them in person for the first time in a store the other day - dark grey and very sleek. I didn't expect it to be stylish!

    -Chandra at Daley's Dog Years

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi - I was just reading about the Tellington Touch massage techniques on another blog, and I've used it on horses before too. You might want to check it out! - Christine at The Daily Toki

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely keep me posted on the progress!

    ReplyDelete

Leave Us Some Puppy Love!