Monday, November 1, 2010

Lessons from Chamberlin

Because Nugget and Oscar are HUGE fans of Chamberlin (okay, really I am... but Nugg & Osc listen attentively when I update them Chamberlin's status), I thought I would dedicate a post in his honor.  His story can be found here: Chamberlin's Story  You will absolutely need some Kleenex.

I am continually disgusted by the stories I hear in the news.  As a woman of Christian faith, I often struggle with the "why?" when I read stories such as this.  How can anyone be so heartless?  Why do bad things happen to innocent, helpless beings?  Nothing gets to me quite like hearing a story about a child, elderly person or animal being hurt by someone.  They rely on able-bodied, able-minded adults for even their very most basic life needs. I cannot fathom how anyone could deny them those things, ever.  Really, there must be a black hole where their heart is supposed to be.

I started following Chamerlin's story towards the end of September.  I am a fan of Susie's Law on Facebook and initially saw the story there.  (Susie's story is also nothing short of amazing!  A MUST-READ if you haven't already!).  I was immediately captivated by this little guy's innocent face and sweet disposition.  The YouTube video that was put together by the Guilford County Animal Shelter is absolutely heart-wrenching.  Chamberlin's Video  I've watched this at least 5 times and each time, I cry just as hard as the first time I saw it.  Look at this pitiful dog, left to die in an abandoned back yard and just short of death's door step.  He was found by chance (& thank God he was!).  He has suffered immensely, but this little guy just looks up with the most loving of eyes and wags his tail.  How amazingly humbling is that?  He is so incredibly grateful for the people who are saving him.  Rather than cowering away because of all that he's been through, he reciprocates the love and affection being shown to him by the wonderful people at the shelter. 

WOW.  The things we can learn from this courageous animal...  How often do we, in our own way, cower into a corner and shut out our family and friends because we've had a bad day or because of any number of physical and emotional scars that burden us?  I am probably the most guilty of anyone I know.  When I'm hurting, it's so much easier to bury myself in work and let my phone go to voicemail.  Interestingly, that never makes me feel better.  What a beautiful reflection of God's grace it would be to step out of our comfort zone and give love and affection during our most difficult times!  There's something to be said for converting our bad feelings into positive energy.  Nothing lifts my spirits as much as when I make someone else smile.  Thank you, Chamberlin for that reminder!  How I pray to have half the courage Chamberlin has shown - to be able to wag my tail and smile when all I feel like doing is hanging my head.

Finally, a HUGE shout out and thanks to the Guilford County Animal Shelter!  What they are doing for Chamberlin is so awesome!  They do a phenomenal job of providing updates on Chamberlin and making their Facebook followers aware of opportunities to make a difference for abused and neglected animals.  Thank you!

Nugget and Oscar have sent a donation to the Guilford Co Shelter for Chamberlin's care (Fine - It came from my checking account, but I put the donation in their names!)
The shelter accepts Paypal or you can mail a check to:
Guilford County Animal Shelter • 4525 West Wendover Ave., Greensboro, NC 27409 
There are many basic dog and office items for which they also have a need, if that's more your thing or if you have the resources to provide that instead.  That list can be found on their website.  YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!


To close your eyes will not ease another’s pain. — Chinese Proverb

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Us Some Puppy Love!